Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day Nine: Kitchen-lower cabinets and dishwasher

Day Nine:
Kitchen-lower cabinets and dishwasher

Today is going to be much like the upper cabinets. I have a couple of tips and tricks that might help you out. As always though, if you have any tips for me I would love to hear them. I love incorporating ideas into my cleaning and organizing.

~First step is clear out all the shelves. (you can break this up and do it by shelf if you want)
~Take you cleaning products and rag and clean all the sides and surfaces of the shelves. Doesn’t it feel good to start with a clean slate.
~Now let’s turn our attention to the sorting table. This is the contents of my lower cabinets: *Pots and Pans (these take up two whole lower cabinets, but I have them on a very cool slide out system so this cupboard isn’t messy, just needed a little dusting and wiping.)
*Plastic ware (I have one whole cabinet set up for all my plastic crap) This Is my motto here, “If it don’t fit, I don’t need it” Usually this is the cupboard that I open up a squinch (is that even a word?) and throw in there what I am trying to put away and shut the door as fast as I can. This is also high on my list of “you-are-TOTALLY-annoying-me-right-now-so-you-must-need-a-chore” list. I can’t ever get my husband to do it though. JK babe! So if you have anything plastic ware now is a good time to go through, make sure we have lids, they fit, nothing is cracked or melted. Here is a great recycling opportunity! And can I say just as a side note that I am really starting to dig vintage Tupperware. Someone stop me from searching ebay for it!
*Some of my stoneware-mini loaf pans, muffins tins, pie plates
*Misc kitchen gadgets: graters, chopper, immersion blender
*Can goods and pantry items: I keep most of my limited can goods here on the very bottom shelf of my cupboards. I found some great little plastic baskets at the big W store down the house wares aisle, for right around a dollar I think. I bought enough to fit length wise across the back of my cupboard and then like 3 to go across the front part. This is not a whole lot of “extra” can goods, but until we add on the island part of my kitchen this is where I am at. Anyway back to the baskets. The lower cabinets are much deeper also so this helps to get to things that are trapped clear at the back. I have each basket labels for different items: fruits, tomatoes, soup, side dishes, pasta, peanut butter, mustard (yes I have one labeled for mustard, with coupons I get it free all summer), and condiments. I have found that by having these items in baskets, I can’t fit as much in, but I can get to things easier without making a mess or causing frustration. Worth the dollar-ish in my mind.
~That is the extent of my lower cabinets. So we can put everything back. And if you get the little plastic baskets it will be a snap.


~Dishwasher-Give it some loves: you can buy a cleaner at the store. All you do is run it through an empty dishwasher and it makes the inside clean and sparkly. Or you can try this great homemade remedy. Your dishwasher thanks you!


Stay tuned for our Fun Friday night Activity: The pantry!!! My Pantry is a tiny closet so I have had to get pretty creative here.

No comments: