Friday, October 3, 2008

DAY 3-Finish front room

Day Three:
Still in the Front Room (in my case it is our Formal Living Room/Entryway)

Here we are at day 3. Today we finish up in the front area. This is clean up day. You have previously dusted all the surfaces and inside your furniture. This is an easy day. We are going to start at the top. Literally at the top.

For this little exercise you will need a long reach duster. WHAT? You don’t have one? No big deal. Find a long stick, star wars sword, handle of your broom or mop. Take a wash cloth and ball it up, then take your soft cloth and lay it over the top. You will then take a rubber band and it goes in this order. Stick (or whatever) then wash cloth on the top and lay the cloth over the wash cloth and rubber band it to the stick (or whatever).
Make sense?
Hurry though, your princess might see it and think it is her fairy wand
or your son will see you with his star wars sword and cry.
~With a long duster, reach up into the corners of your room and wipe. I like to trace the shape of the ceiling. Make a box shape. Make a circle. What ever the shape may be. That was kind of fun.
~Do you have a light fixture or ceiling fan hanging from the ceiling? Take your long duster and dust it off. NOTE OF CAUTION: If you live where I live, and you have a ceiling fan that hasn’t been dusted in a while I would use the long hose on the vacuum to vacuum it off. Otherwise you and your furniture will look like Mount St. Helen erupted and the ash made it all the way south to your house. Not that I would know from experience or anything.
~ Don’t you feel good that your ceiling is now cob web dust bunny free?
~Next I have some lamps that I need to dust off. Did you know the best way to dust lamp shades is with a clean never been painted with bristle paint brush (the foam doesn’t work as good…I don’t know why..)? Yep so grab your brush and paint your shade from the top down. Take you dust rag and wipe off the rest of your lamp. Dust settles there too you know.
~In my front room I have both curtains and wood blinds, so I am going to give them both a nice gentle wipe down. Make sure you life the blinds up and wipe out the corners of the window as well. (Make a game for your kids to see how many dead flies laid to rest there. JUST kidding. I would never have dead flies in the corner of my windows, next year!)
~SO let’s recap: Ceiling-check
Light Fixture/Fan- check
Windows-check
~Great, let’s move on to the furniture. What ever it may be. I have some leather couches so I am going to dust off the back of them, fluff the pillows and maybe spray some smell good spray on the throw. (Or you could be wild and crazy and just wash it quick. PARTY!)
~ At this point all of my other surfaces were done in the previous two days, so I am going to wipe my cloth to make sure no other dust deposited in case mount saint Helens did erupt accidentally!
~Floor. Now. Here is the thing; I have a tile floor with a small area rug. So my steps are this: Vacuum on bare floor setting, change setting to carpet and vacuum rug. Then I take either hot water with a tad bid of bleach (seriously like a capful) and mop the tile, OR I take a new swiffer wet pad and swiffer the front room. Depends on my mood. Today I was feeling a little lazy and went the swiffer route.

WHAT ARE YOUR Favorite FLOOR TRICKS?
Share them with us.


Did you play along? How do you feel? I LOVE walking into the front room to a nice clean, organized space. At night it makes me want to light candles, turn the air conditioning down (WHAT? It is still in the 100’s man), snuggle under a warm clean throw and read my favorite book. Reminds me to forget where I live and pretend I am in the midst of a stormy snow storm in the Antarctic I tell you!

Get Ready! The kitchen is my next room to tackle! We may be here for a couple of days, but this is the perfect weekend room. Put on a pot of soup and enjoy your space.

No comments: