Tuesday, October 21, 2008

At Long Last: The PANTRY

I apologize that our “fun Friday night activity” didn’t take place. We ended up spending a Fun night in the hospital. But we are going to get back on track this week.

THE DREADED PANTRY

Does your pantry look like an overstuffed nightmare, just waiting to spill out? Or is it disorganized at every juncture? Mine is my nightmare. I am constantly shifting boxes and moving canisters and digging for cans. BUT with the limited space that I have available I am doing what works for now.

~Lets Unload. To make your life a little easier unload into categories: Cereal, Baking Mixes, Cans, Oils, jar goods, recipe books, etc. This will help in your replacing and sorting later.
~Clean your shelves (I almost said selves again…hee! Hee!) Get it all, sides, top and bottom. You will feel better about yourself and your pantry.
~Sorting and replacing. Since everyone has a different pantry layout you have unlimited options. I have a door with shelves. It is deep and not so wide. Things get lost in the back very easily. So here is my solutions to that. I went to the W store and I picked up some narrow white wire stacking shelves. They are about 4 inches wide, perfect for a couple of cans. So I have the “rest” of my canned goods stacked at the very back. I have to “dig” for them a bit, but it is easier to move a couple of boxes of cereal when I feel like Hormel Chili than moving a bunch of cans when I want a box of cereal. Get my drift?
I basically bought enough shelves to outfit the whole back wall of my pantry. I keep cookie mix, cake mixes, canned milk, evaporated milk, weird vegetables, canned fruit along the back of my pantry.
In front of all that I house all the big stuff. If I have more cereal than 4 boxes it goes into the storage under our stairs. The kids love going on an adventure when we need more cereal out. Plus if there is more than 4 boxes little brains can’t decide what to eat at 5 o’clock in the morning, less choices, less drama. Flour in big container, sugar in big container, oil, spaghetti ect are all in containers.
We have a large plastic ware container that is the snack bin. If the kids ask for a snack I usually tell them a piece of fruit or pick something out of the snack bin. The snack bin houses granola bars, raisins. Fruit leather this is our fav right now, fruit snacks, cracker snacks, etc. This is my buying gage. When the snack big is half full I know to put it on my grocery list. Again no fights because the kids have choices. Clever!
Here are some other ideas that might fit in with your particular pantry. *(If I ever have a real pantry I will definitely be implementing some of these idea.)
Set up food zones: Breakfast items, lunch items, Dinner items.
Grab some baskets and make meal baskets. For instance if your family LOVES spaghetti and you eat it once or more a week have a basket that is set up with noodles, sauce, mushrooms, garlic bread spread etc so on that meal night you know you have everything you need to make said item. Or have 5-7 baskets set up with the items you will need to cook your weeks worth of meals. Then each night as you go to prepare your dinner you just grab that basket and go. Beats walking back and forth 85 times to get items.
Use a cloth shoe organizer on the back of your pantry for packet items, kool aid, fruit snacks, and other light items. If you get the clear kind you can see exactly what it in it.
If you have a lot of space between the shelves use a bin that hangs from the shelf above it. (The big W store carries them) Use that bin for chips, breads, crackers. Anything that might get lost and smooshed in the shuffle of a busy family
Add some plastic drawers. These are fairly inexpensive and add to a clean look. These are perfect for those odd shaped items that don’t stack well. Chocolate Chips, coconut, bags of pasta and rice, side dish mixes, soup mixes. Even spices (label the top of the jar if you stand them up, so you can see all the names as soon as you open the drawer.)
Add some hooks to the side, hang up your apron, bbq tools, dish towels, plastic bag holder

If your pantry is really bugging you and you need a fresh set of eyes, email me a picture and I will try to help out!
That’s just the kind of gal I am! Have a happy day!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

AWESOME ideas! I can't quite picture what you bought for the back of your pantry though. I guess I'll be searching the W store that I'm conviently located near for that item. I think my pantry is lots like yours (if I remember right). Its a pain!

Stephanie said...

You know, I've always liked you, but today, I love you more! You are my HERO! What super ideas! Can I just tell you how annoying my canned food is. I love that back of the shelf idea. You are so right! Plus all the other great ideas that I am TOTALLY going to try! - Especially the snack bin! PURE GENIUS! Thanks for sharing!