Friday, October 12, 2007

This, That and Scaling the Fence

THIS:


Today was pajama day at school. For $1 they get to wear their "dress code appropriate" jammies. Billie and Grant were asked to bring their pillows so they could read. James thought it was pretty neat to wear his favorite jammie pants with his boots.


THAT:


Easiest Apple Pie: (thanks to Amy J. for this delicious recipe)

Crumb Crust: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp. sugar, 2 Tbsp cold milk, 1/2 cup oil. Mix all together and pat into bottom and up the sides of pie pan. Do not roll out!

Topping: 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter mix together until crumbly. You sprinkle this over the filling.

Filling: 4 cups sliced apples (about 5 or 6 apples depending on how full you want the pie), 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 2 TBSP flour. Mix and toss with apples. Put into unbaked crust.

Baking : Slide pie into a brown paper bag and close tightly. (Or you can cover loosely with foil. I have never made it this way, there is something about baking it in the bag I can't get over.) Make sure your bag isn't going to touch the heating element. NO PEEKING! Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes. ENJOY!

I literally made this last night in 15 minutes. The hardest part is slicing and pealing the apples, but thanks to the Pampered Chef Apple Peeler Corer thing it goes fast.

Scaling the fence:


I decided to clean and mop the downstairs this morning so that I could go upstairs and work on some other fun things. In my pjs (I didn't have to pay a dollar either) I was going about my normal cleaning. The sliding glass door needed a good clean, so I cleaned the inside, then went out to clean the outside. No big deal, done it before LOTS of times. I am cleaning away when I hear this big clank. Well, the dog is outside with me and there is nothing nearby that looks like it fell. That is when I realize that it was the dowel that we put in the door at night clanking into place on the track. Ah crap! The door won't even open up enough that I can get my hand into it to reach the phone. The kids are all at school, the dog is outside with me. The gate is locked and the key is also INSIDE. Well, at first I pull a chair up to the fence to see if I can get over it that way, too short. I look around trying to figure out what to do, I know that there is a latter in the shed that is locked up and the key IN the house. I see the wave climber. So I pull it over to the gate, with the dog looking at me like I have just sprung a gasket. I get up on it and it is tall enough to get me over the fence. The worst part was the landing. Rocks, bare feet...I am not a small girl. OUCH! But I hobble around to let myself into the house. What an ordeal. A word of advice...MOVE THE DOWL the next time you are cleaning the sliding glass door and home alone. I think this one will be written down next to the time I tried to step into the garbage can to smoosh the garbage down...Until the next adventure!

3 comments:

smdc said...

Hee hee hee... sounds like you had a fun day!! Too bad you haven't taught Sadie how to take pictures yet!

Malia said...

How crazy is that? It is indeed me, e-mail me and we can catch up. I recognized Grant right away, how has it been 9 years????
beaumaliapowers@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Lexi,

I think I've had a few of those moments too! Except mine happened because I wasn't thinking - not because of sheer accident... and no, I won't be sharing mine any time soon :)

Michelle